The girls were abducted from a secondary school in northern Nigeria by gunmen suspected of being members of the Islamist group, whose name means “Western education is forbidden” VATICAN INSIDER STAFF-ROME-According to a BBC report, parents have informed that “scores of girls have been abducted in an attack on a school in north-east Nigeria.” “Gunmen reportedly arrived at the school in Chibok, Borno state, late last night, and ordered the hostel’s teenage residents on to four lorries.” “Parents told the BBC’s Hausa service that at least 200 girls had been abducted. The attackers are thought to be from the Islamist group, Boko Haram. On Monday, bombings blamed on the group killed more than 70 people in Abuja.” “Boko Haram has been waging an armed campaign for an Islamic state in northern Nigeria.” “The attack on the hostel in Chibok was confirmed by police, although they had no confirmation of the abductions.” “Speaking afterwards, a student, who did not wish to be named, told the BBC that she had escaped after seeing her classmates jumping out of the back of a lorry.” News reports have not mentioned whether the school in question has a religious ethos or not. In its report, the BBC recalls that Boko Haram “emerged as a critic of Western-style education, and its militants frequently target schools and educational institutions.”
In autumn 2013 Fox News warned that experts had said “the kidnapping of a young Christian woman (19-year-old Hajja, Ed.) and her forced conversion to Islam is part of an inhuman new strategy used by the Nigerian terrorist group Boko Haram to rid the region of Christians.” Chibok, where the abduction took place is located in the same Nigerian state as Yola, the city where two Italian missionaries and a Canadian nun – Gilberte Bussier, Fr. Giampaolo Marta and Fr. Gianantonio Allegri were recently kidnapped. In early May, a series of Boko Haram bombings in Mainok and Maiduguri, also in Nigeria’s Borno state, left more than 70 people dead.
“This year, Boko Haram’s fighters have killed more than 1,500 civilians in three states in north-east Nigeria, according to the BBC’s Will Ross in Lagos.” News24 Nigeria